Wednesday, April 1, 2009

An evening at the lake

Tuesday evening here was sunny and warm, (around 60 degrees) so my wife and I decided to go to a local lake to take some pictures. Upon arriving we found a couple of boats on the lake with people fishing. This is a public lake located on State Game Lands and maintained by the PA Fish and Boat Commission.

Below is a picture of the boat ramp taken from the breast of the dam.

This picture is the spillway or overflow located bside the dam. In the summer months very little water goes ove the spillway due to dry weather.

Finally a close up picture of the water as it makes it way down stream and into Roaring Run.

This area is one of my favorite places to visit as you can become lost in the solitude. As I think back to last fall on day in October when my wife, my daughter Sierra and I decided to travel here to take pictures from the mountain top. Not giving it much thought my daughter and I went on ahead of Jean only to hear her scream. I immediatly knew what was wrong as I know the reputation for this area. When I turned around I saw a rattlesnake lying on the ground between us. I kew that Sierra and I had just walked right over top of it. Needless to say we left immediatly without taking any pictures, just glad to be safe. To think such a beautiful area can have such hidden dangers.
For more beautiful pictures visit my wife's blog at http://ms426d.blogspot.com
Thanks for visiting.



3 comments:

Willard said...

Good shots of the lake!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

If it would've been my son, he'd have wanted to watch it awhile. He loves going to places to see what kinds of reptiles are in the area. He's 30, now, and planning on taking his 15 month old son to some breeders' expo next weekend. He's a little nature lover, too, so he'll probably like it. There won't be rattlers there, though.

I'm going to check out your wife's pics.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I forgot to say I liked your photos. That does look like a nice place to be.